You, along with millions around the world, can celebrate your love of hummus today on May 13 – International Hummus Day!
Hummus is an incredibly popular Middle Eastern dip and spread. It is typically made by blending chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic in a food processor. Not only is hummus delicious, but it is also versatile, power packed with nutrients.
Here are 8 scientifically proven benefits of hummus.
1. Rich in ingredients that prove to help fight inflammation : Inflammation is the body’s way to protect itself from infection, illness or injury. Hummus is packed with healthy ingredients that may help combat chronic inflammation.
2. High in fiber that helps with digestion : Hummus is a great source of dietary fiber, which can improve digestive health. Thanks to its high fiber content, hummus can help keep you regular. This is because dietary fiber helps soften and add bulk to stools so that they are easier to pass.
3.Super nutritious and power packed with protein : You can feel good about eating hummus, as it contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Hummus is a great source of plant-based protein, providing 7.9 grams per serving. This makes it an excellent option for people on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
4. Promotes weight loss : Hummus has several properties that can help promote weight loss. It is a great source of dietary fiber, which has been shown to boost levels of the fullness hormones. Additionally, hummus is a great source of plant-based protein. Research has shown that a higher protein intake can help curb appetite and boost your metabolism.
5. It’s naturally gluten, nut- and dairy-Free : It is naturally gluten-, nut- and dairy-free, which means it suits people who are affected by common conditions like celiac disease, nut allergies and lactose intolerance.
6. Easy to add to your diet : Not only is hummus nutritious and tasty, but it’s also easy to add to your diet. Hummus can be had in endless ways! it also acts as a subsitute to junky spreads. Moreover, it’s incredibly easy to make at home!
7. Helps control blood sugar levels : Hummus has a low glycemic index, which means it slowly releases sugar into the bloodstream. This is also aided by the resistant starch, fat and protein it contains. Hummus is made mostly from chickpeas, which have a low glycemic index and thus helps in controlling the blood sugar levels.
8. Contains heart-healthy Ingredients: Hummus contains chickpeas and olive oil — two ingredients that may reduce risk factors, and thus overall risk, for heart disease.
Need more reasons to love hummus?
Let’s make some yummy hummus and share it today on World Hummus Day and don’t forget to hashtag #PuneNightlifein !